The Romanesque in Alt Berguedà
Alt Berguedà area is known for its natural environment: mountains, forests, mushrooms, etc., but this time we will look at us with new eyes. We will do a historical and artistic look is that this space also includes an important and a handful of buildings that are relatively close to each other Romanesque heritage.
So, we will make a journey through history that will take us from Berga, a walk through the towns of Vilada, Borredà, Sant Jaume de Frontanyà, La Pobla de Lillet, Guardiola de Berguedà, and back to the capital region. We will do everything, without neglecting the environment that invites and what has been provided.
Before concluding the visit, I also propose to make a walking tour a nearby around the river invites disconnect from day to day and, once again, brings us to the Romanesque bergadán which we will soak in this route through the Alt Berguedà.
We hope you enjoy a lot, and discover a new charm in this territory.
Berga in Borredà
The first highlight of the tour place is the swamp of Baells, opened in the 70s in order to accumulate water reserves to supply all the Llobregat valley from Berga to Barcelona. It was also important to ensure a minimum flow of the river to provide power to the large number of turbines located in the south of the region. The construction of the dam caused the abandonment of the people of San Salvador de la Vedella, which is visible only the church of San Salvador, accessible in times of drought. This also involved the construction of the core of Sant Jordi de Cercs to house the inhabitants of San Salvador.
The first village we found is Vilada, about 500 inhabitants. From the square of the village we can access the parish church, San Juan de Vilada, baroque style with Romanesque. You can not pass by without trying the cookies made since 1924 and have become a local specialty made with a high content of nuts.
We resume the road C-26 direction Borredà, about 550 inhabitants. Highlights the old town where you can visit the church of Santa Maria. The original building of the ninth century was replaced in the twelfth century by the current, which between 1770 and 1780 was remade largely by subtracting only Romanesque period the west wall.
The Romanesque of Sant Sadurní and Santiago
Past the town of Borredà we find the intersection towards our next destination, Sant Jaume de Frontanyà. Following the BV-4656, shortly after leaving the town and before reaching the campsite is in the area, find a farm where they make artisan cheeses.
?? For those more interested in Romanesque art, we recommend visiting the church of Sant Sadurní de Rotgers. At kilometer 2.9, turn left and follow the track unpaved until you find the church, restored by the Provincial Council Barcelona.
Once in Sant Jaume de Frontanyà, the smallest town in Catalonia, at 1072 meters above sea level, mountain scenery of great beauty, where we can visit one of the finest examples of Romanesque Berguedà. The first news of Sant Jaume de Frontanyà are the X century when he built the first dedicated to Santiago church. In the eleventh century a canonical community Augustinian was established and in 1140 a new church was built, now one of the churches more emblematic of Lombard Romanesque art in Catalonia. One of the peculiarity of the building is the dome of twelve sides. There are different options to make the visit, asking the key in the inn and visit the set on its own; ask an audio guide on site, which tells the history of the building from its origins to today or to arrange a tour.
The Romanesque of La Pobla de Lillet
To continue the route, follow the same road heading north. Before coming to La Pobla de Lillet, we stop at the Monastery of Santa Maria, of great importance in the Alt Berguedà, this is in a privileged position at the foot of the mountain. The first document refers is the year 819. The monastery is a good example of different eras, the Romanesque (remains of the apse), the Lombard Romanesque (nave), Gothic (north transept and carries) and Baroque (columns and capitals gypsum). The monastery can only be visited on demand through the information office of the same population.
Next to the monastery is the church of San Miguel circular plant, the only one of its kind still standing in the region of Berguedà.
The city grows at the end of the Middle Ages with the construction of the old bridge in the early fourteenth century, the most interesting heritage reference of the population. The streets are narrow and steep, with houses typical of mountain people stone.
The typical drink of the population is known that the same people vermouth marketed. At Christmastime we recommend visiting the living nativity scene held, one of the most interesting of the region.
Monastery of San Lorenzo
From La Pobla de Lillet, we take the BV-402 road until Guardiola of Berguedà, a people who lived their great growth with the arrival of the railroad in the late nineteenth century. We leave the square of the town, where the historicist church built in 1954 and which replaced the church as a parish church of the Monastery of San Lorenzo, our next stop.
To reach the Monastery of San Lorenzo take the road towards Bagà crossing the bridge over the river Bastareny. On the left we find a path that will lead to the monastery of San Lorenzo, before reaching the town cemetery.
The Monastery of San Lorenzo, founded in the ninth century, became one of the great centers of power in the area, located on the road leading to the Cerdanya. The original monastery suffered the effects of the earthquake in the Pyrenees in 1428. Before the earthquake in this important monastery lived an important Benedictine community began to go into decline after the earthquake, the collapse of a part of the church and cloister.
In the late twentieth century a restoration of the monastery, complete set began in 2008 when some of the areas affected by the earthquake were recovered: the church, which after 6 centuries regained its original volume, the cloister and hostelry.
To finish the tour we return to Berga along the axis of Llobregat (C-16) in Berga you can find a variety of accommodation and catering establishments where you podríes enjoy the products of the region.
Walking trail - Greenway stopping at Sant Quirze de Pedret
We start our route in Colonia Rosal, the first textile factory built in the region of Berguedà, opened in 1858. Currently well known for Mushroom Fair held during the autumn season. From the roundabout we found at the northern entrance of the colony take the path of the old railroad, the railroad that connected the region of Berguedà with Manresa and Barcelona. This road has been suitable as a greenway along the course of the Llobregat River, where not accessible by car, which makes it ideal for family outings. Along this road about 4.5 kilometers, find different tunnels, the longest of which illuminated.
This stretch of river is one of the most suitable for the practice of sport fishing controlled, and in the end we will find the house called "fishermen", where we find a source to freshen up. A few meters later will find Pedret Bridge, one of the most interesting medieval bridges in the region, where photography lovers will enjoy the nature and architecture in perfect harmony.
Once we cross the bridge, there are two roads leading to the church of Sant Quirze de Pedret. The left one is shorter and steeper, the right one is a bit longer but more level and from where you can enjoy a quieter ride. If we take this second path, after 600 meters arrive at the church.
Sant Quirze de Pedret is one of the best preserved Romanesque buildings in Catalonia, founded in the ninth century, expanded in the tenth century and some reforms Romanesque period. Inside preserved magnificent paintings of Romanesque and Romanesque period, currently exhibited at the National Art Museum of Catalonia and the Regional Museum of Solsona. The paintings have been reproduced in their home and let us know the importance of place and meaning of the stories they tell.
Turning again to the bridge and through it we can take the right hand the way the railroad to reach the dam of Baells, built in the 70s and with a height of 100 meters. The construction of the dam was one of the events causing the removal of the railway in 1973.
From this point we will dispose the greenway to return again to the starting point, the Colonia Rosal.