Sidamon is located in the western sector of the Pla de Urgell region and 232 meters above sea level. It borders the municipalities of Bello lugar, Palau de Anglesola, Fondarella Mollerussa and Torregrossa. Its term has an extension of 8.16 km2. with irrigated crops (cereals, vegetables, fruit trees...) and dry land; as well as poultry farms, and cattle and pigs.
The population of Sidamon is of Saracen origin. Already in the year 1079, the "Liber Feudorum mayor" contained "Aquam vividly than this ultra Cidamundum", a hybrid word of Arabic and Latin; then Sidamon and its Castle had already been taken over by Ramón Berenguer I and attached to the diocese of Vic (where it remained until the end of the 16th century, which passed to Solsona) and, in this document, the brothers Ramon Berenguer II and Berenguer Ramón II make a donation of the territory between Anglesola, Sidamon and Torregrossa to the knight Berenguer Gombau of the House of Anglesola, a territory that had constituted for almost a century the limit of the Catalan lands before Lleida and where the counts of Barcelona often resided in their companies against the city of Segre, Sidamon and the Palau de Anglesola continued in the hands of this lineage until the reign of Jaime I. Between the two towns there was in the middle of the 12th century, a hospital to accommodate the sick and pilgrims.
In 1182 in testar Bernat de Anglesola gave a recognition to the monastery of Poblet for the care of this hospital. Later, years before 1260, Guillem de Anglesola, close to joining the Order of the Temple, sold the castle and places of Sidamon to Hugo de Cervià, but the latter's wife, Guilleuma, denounced the master of the Templars (1260 ) that William's son, Guillem de Anglesola, youngest son, had violently occupied the castle of Sidamon in accordance with his father, already a Templar.
In the 1358 census, Sidamon had 35 houses and, like the Palau de Anglesola, it belonged to the military order of Santiago de la Espada, within the order of Montalbà. In the census of 1365 it counted 30 fires, of the knight Acard de Muro. Like the Palau, it was part of the village of Tàrrega since 1330 and in 1373 it was exchanged by Enrique de Trastámara, King of Castile, and passed from the order of Santiago to the Count of Ampurias (ceded by the king) and three years later to Pedro Sacalua, until in 1405 the hospitalists acquired both places, with all civil and criminal jurisdiction, within the order of the Espluga Calva, where he remained until the end of the Old Regime.
In the years of the maximum activity of banditry in the region, Sidamon was the scene (1587/88) of an important robbery carried out by the famous bandit the Minyó de Montellà, a theft of the King's currency, in one of the maximum remittances of gold that Felipe II of Spain sent to Italy for the soldiers of thirds.
It was depopulated after the War of the Reapers and in 1717 it had a common mayor with Fondarella and Bell.lloc (who also started afforestation). Zamora affirmed in his trip (1787) that the surroundings of Sidamon are handsome of olive trees. It had been partly rebuilt in 1810, when in the contributions to the French occupying Lleida, Sidamon, had to give 500 quintals of fodder.
The construction of the Urgell Canal represented prosperity for the population. Work begins to modernize the city, with the supply of water, electricity, the roads that connect with neighboring towns are fixed, and ultimately, Sidamon is urbanized.
In recent years, work has been done to provide the municipality with all basic services in good condition. The canal park has been improved and the town also has a motorhome park with all services. In addition, there is also a petanque and picnic area.
We must also refer to the social fabric of the people of Sidamon, where a series of social and sports entities have emerged. All this human wealth, well complemented by the active installation of services and an industrial zone, make the town a very welcoming and pleasant place, which in recent years has experienced a notable increase in its population.
Nearby routesSee all routes »
- Urgell Canal pedal route (a 5.2 km)
- The oil route, from field to table (a 12.5 km)
- Grand Tour de Catalunya - Section 2.… (a 12.5 km)
- Route of the cabins back (a 12.5 km)
- The cheese of Montsec (a 13.7 km)
What to do
Turisme Les Garrigues(a 13.5 Km)
The landscape of Les Garrigues is one of the most appreciated values…
Oli Raig d'ArbecaArbeca (a 12.2 Km)
Raig d'Arbeca has a shop (oleoteca) where they offer different varieties of…
Cooperativa ArbequinaArbeca (a 12 Km)
At Arbequina we invite you to try our traditional and premium oils…
Vinya els VilarsArbeca (a 12 Km)
A small wine farm, with a production that does not exceed 20,000…
Where to eat
El Dien RestaurantVallfogona de Balaguer (a 13.6 Km)
We like to cook, and we like our clients to receive at…
Hostal-Restaurant RomaCubells (a 26.8 Km)
We have 7 newly refurbished rooms, in our restaurant you will find…
Where to sleep
Era de Cal FalilloVilanova de Bellpuig (a 10.7 Km)
The Era of Cal Falillo dates from 1776, and is currently fully…
Hotels Ibis LleidaLleida (a 16.8 Km)
Our Ibis hotel in Lleida is integrated into the commercial area of…
Lo Palauet de la MurallaBalaguer (a 17.8 Km)
More than an accommodation, the Palauet is an authentic medieval and romantic…
Monestir de les AvellanesOs de Balaguer (a 27.9 Km)
XII century Abbey Antigua adapted to the needs of the twenty-first century.…
Contest of 'Cassoles de Tros' in Juneda10/06/2023 - 11/06/2023
Tastavins Fair in Juneda17/06/2023