Route through the volcanoes of Olot
The city of Olot can be discovered in many ways, on this route we will do it in a very special way: through its volcanoes. With this itinerary we can discover nature in the middle of the city, as the urban fabric of Olot is articulated around one of its most famous volcanoes: the Montsacopa.
The also known as San Francisco volcano reminds us that we are in volcanic land and in a region where the landscape will surprise us every step of the way. The Montsacopa is also one of the viewpoints par excellence of Olot. A few minutes from the center, we will enjoy breathtaking views over the city, which has another of the must-see points in the Parque Nuevo: the Volcano Museum.
- Starting point: Montsacopa volcano / Parc Nou.
- How to get there: Following the urban signs in the Parc Nou car park or in the car park of the cemetery, where we will have to leave the car to climb the Montsacopa volcano.
- How to make the route: On foot or by bicycle (except the stretch of the Montolivet volcano to the San Roque Fountains).
- Duration: 4 hours doing the whole trip (Montsacopa volcano, New Park, Monteolivete volcano and San Roque fountains). 1 h and 15 minutes if you only visit the Montsacopa volcano 3 hours from the Museum of the Volcanoes, Botanical Garden, old town of Olot, Montsacopa volcano and return to the New Park.
- Observations: Access with motorized vehicles in the Montsacopa crater is prohibited, except vehicles with prior authorization from the Natural Park. The route is flat except the climbs to the volcanoes Montsacopa (40 meters) and Monteolivete (50 meters).
- Indicated itinerary: yes, in part. Pedestrian itinerary no. 17 of the Natural Park.
If you have already discovered the center of Olot - after touring the streets and squares of the old town - it is time to climb one of the most unique elements of the city: the Montsacopa volcano. Also known as San Francisco, you will identify by its church, the watch towers and its profile that protrudes from the old town of Olot.
It can only be accessed on foot, but the ascent is worthwhile to contemplate the urban volcano par excellence that is, at the same time, an excellent viewpoint of the city. Going around the volcanic cone, you will observe different panoramic views of the neighborhoods of Olot and other points of special interest, such as the volcano of La Garrinada, the Aiguanegra mountains and the peaks of the Bassegoda or the Virgen del Monte. On your tour of the Montsacopa you will find the hermitage of San Francisco, built to end the war of independence over an old military enclosure, and the defense towers, which were built in the Carlist era.
If the visit to Montsacopa has awakened your curiosity about the volcanoes, we suggest you go to the New Park. On the ground floor of the Castanys Tower, there is the Museum of the Volcanoes that will bring you closer to the volcanic phenomena, earthquakes and ecosystems of La Garrotxa. But the same gardens of the Parc Nou are also a reason to visit. The almost four hectares of green area with elements of English gardening, exceptional forests with native specimens and a garden of medicinal plants make the Parc Nou a recreational space and, at the same time, rest.
If you still want to discover new places in Olot, you can move to the Montolivet volcano and the San Roque fountains, enjoying a fresh trip through the Fluvià. You can not miss the trade of the city of Olot, and the great gastronomic offer of the region or the wetlands of the Moixina.
Where to sleep
Where to eat
What to do