The municipality of Benifallet, with an area of 62.42 km², is located at the northernmost end of the Baix Ebre region, on the border with the Terra Alta and Ribera d'Ebre regions (on the border with Miravet is the Roca Folletera, historical dividing line of the term of Tortosa ). The term confronts Prat de Comte (W) and El Pinell de Brai (NW), municipalities of Terra Alta; with Miravet (N) and Rasquera (NE), from Ribera de Ebro, and with Tivenys (S), Paüls (W) and Xerta (SW), from the same Baix Ebre region.
The name of Benifallet appears for the first time in documents from 1153. The site already existed before the conquest of Tortosa by Ramon Berenguer IV. In 1208 King Pedro the Catholic handed over the castle to Guillermo IV de Cervera who, in 1215, handed it over to the Knights of the Temple. Subsequently, Benifallet returned to royal jurisdiction through its links with the city of Tortosa. In 1207, Ramon de Montcada, gave these places to Bernat Oliver Fuster with his terms and belongings, so that he could own, exploit and establish cultivators.
The first road that linked Benifallet with another town arrived in 1917, therefore, before that date the town communicated with the outside world by means of llaguts. The llaguts were used to transport people, but also to market products and provide the town with minimal services. The Benifallet boat was used for years to connect Benifallet with the towns on the other side of the river. The boat stopped working in 1991, the year in which the Pont del Llaguter was inaugurated, an infrastructure that forms part of the C-12 or Eje del Ebro and connects the right bank of the Ebro river with Benifallet.
Agriculture, Livestock and Tourism
During the last decade, Benifallet has enjoyed strong tourism growth thanks to the exploitation of the Benifallet Caves and the navigability of the Ebro. On a gastronomic scale, it is worth highlighting the "pastisset de Benifallet" as a local product with recognition throughout the Catalan territory.
Benifallet, with less than a thousand inhabitants, is an agricultural town that in recent years has opted for agribusiness and tourism. In addition to traditional Mediterranean crops such as almond, olive and carob, a large number of fruit trees are cultivated. In irrigated areas, the main ones are peach trees and citrus trees with a diversity of varieties in both cases. Peach is sold during the months of May, June and July. It is at the end of autumn and winter when commercial activity focuses on oranges and mandarins, highly appreciated in Europe. The fruits of Benifallet, with a temperate climate and favored by a relief that makes it more benign, are very early. In industrial activity, the food industries that handle fruit, those that bottle water and without forgetting those dedicated to the manufacture of pastries are important.
In the livestock sector we find farms for poultry, rabbits, cattle and pigs. The vegetation It is made up of the Degarric i Margalló coastal maquis; Aleppo pine and coastal scrub (rosemary, thyme, white rosemary, brush...) extends throughout the territory. The riverside vegetation is made up of poplars, elms, tamarinds and reeds, among others.
The temperate climate, typical of Mediterranean lands, is of mild and stable temperatures, and with little rainfall. It receives the notable influence of the relief that makes it more benign.
The weather has meant that in irrigated areas, the main fruits are peaches and citrus with a diversity of varieties in both cases. Peach is sold during the months of May, June and July. It is at the end of autumn and winter when commercial activity focuses on oranges and mandarins, highly appreciated in Europe.
The fruits of Benifallet, with a temperate climate and favored by a relief that makes it more benign, are very early.
Benifallet has several parties, but we highlight the Fiesta de los Quintos held in December in which, traditionally, the boys called to go to the military collected funds. Today the tradition is maintained even though military service is no longer compulsory.
Today the town of Benifallet also celebrates the Clotxa Festival (January), the Anniversary of the Cuevas Maravillas (March), and the Fiesta Mayor (September). Other events are also held during the year but with less prominence.
posts of interest
The Wonder Caves
One of the best-known tourist options throughout the territory, formed by a set of spectacular formations of very varied structures such as: stalactites, stalagmites, columns, castings, flags, macaroni and the large number of eccentrics that seem to disobey the law of gravity.
Hours by appointment
- Mornings: 10:15 a.m., 11:15 a.m., 12:15 p.m. and 1:15 p.m.
- Afternoons: 4:15 p.m., 5:15 p.m., 6:15 p.m. and 7:15 p.m.
Low season: January, February, March, November and December.
High season: April, May, June, July, August, September and October.
*Days and times vary depending on the season. Consult directly with the Benifallet Tourist Information Office by writing to: email@example.com or by calling 977462334.
You can also call the Cuevas Maravillas telephone number at 977 267 800.
Given the scenic and tourist richness of the Ebro River, we have the Llagut "Benifallet" , where you can enjoy a fascinating trip touring the most spectacular places in this place with the flora and fauna that surrounds us.
Open from April to October
- Mornings: 11:00 and 12:30
- Afternoons: 4:30 p.m. and 6:00 p.m.
*Days and times vary depending on the season. Consult directly with the Benifallet Tourist Information Office by writing to: firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 977462334. You can also call the Cuevas Maravillas telephone number 977 267 800.
The Red Rock Castle
The Castellot de la Roca Roja is one of the best preserved Iberian settlements in Catalonia. The Iberian settlement is located on a rocky hill on the left bank of the Ebro, approximately 40 meters above the river level and about 50 meters above the sea level.
The Sierra de Cardó: Convent and Spa
The Cardó Desert became a Spa in the 19th century. It is located on top of the Salt del Frare cliff.
Construction began in 1604 by three friars and a laborer. In 1606 the land was purchased and construction began on the convent where the Discalced Carmelite community was established. Due to the Carlist War and, later, the confiscation of Mendizábal, the Carmelites had to leave Cardó.
In the 19th century, some businessmen from Tortosa decided to build a spa-restaurant in the same way as the set of buildings that had fallen into disuse for two centuries. During that century the Spa enjoyed great fame, until the Civil War arrived.
In 1974 it was bought to start a bottling plant that went through different owners until 2007 when the activity ceased definitively.
the green way
The Vía Verde is a tourist route that runs along the old Val de Zafán railway line that linked Aragon with Catalonia and which has been converted into a cycling and hiking itinerary. The Baix Ebre route, 22 km long, runs through Tortosa, Roquetes, Jesús, Aldover, Xerta and Benifallet; where one of the most emblematic stations of the entire Vía Verde is located.