Route of the sources in Llívia

Route of the sources in Llívia

This excursion has as protagonists two of Llívia's best known sources, the Sofre fountain, sulphurous waters and the Ferro fountain, ferroginoses waters. Both are in the north of the city, the source of the Sofre in the Estaüja valley, the source of the Ferro at the confluence of the Tudó stream with the stream of the Valleys or Targasona; both behind the crest of Monte del Castillo and Tudó. We will follow routes 300 and 320 of the Cerdanya trails and make the turn passing through Cereja and continuing along the Llívia road.

Already outside the excursion we can take the opportunity to visit the most emblematic places of the city, such as the Old Quarter, the church of the Virgen de los Ángeles, the Bernat de So Tower, the Old Esteva Pharmacy and the remains of the Castle.

As a starting point we take the church of the Virgin of the Angels of Llívia. We can leave the car in the parking lot behind the church. The total distance of the route is 7 km and lasts approximately 1 hour and 45 minutes.

We start!

From the parking lot behind the church we head north to find the path that passes in front of the quarry. To our right we have the mountain where on the top is the location of the ruins of the Castle. Surrounding the quarry we reach the Rocacanals collar and before us we see the town of Estavar. Shortly after the entrance of the quarry there are some stone stairs to the right that lead to the source of the Sofre.

The fountain of Sofre

r272_sofre It has the particularity, as its name indicates, of the presence of sulfur in its waters. Its characteristic smell of rotten eggs is already felt from many meters before arriving. The fountain is born from a block of granite that is tightened with iron flanges to preserve it from river avenues. The spring is an iron tube that allows a continuous ray of sulphurous water that goes directly to the torrent. The surroundings are picturesque and beautiful.

We continue way up. Soon (1 Km. Approx.) We see a sign next to the road; On the left, above, we see the Carrasut bridge. We turn left on a path between pine trees and a few meters we are next to the bridge.

Carrasut Bridge

The remains of this bridge that still last are from the end of the s. XIX, although there are some older elements, such as the wall and the arch that correspond to an ancient aqueduct; This was replaced by the current taking advantage of these two architectural elements.

We continue a few meters along the path, through a climb between pine trees, a bit steep and shady, and we reach the source of Ferro, located at the end of the path on the left.

Ferro Fountain

r272_ferro This fountain is located at the confluence of the Tuding stream with the Targasona stream. Very little water flows from the source, but the terrain is dyed red due to the ferruginous water. Water drips down a tube that comes out of a small wall made of bricks, it falls directly to the ground and drains into the torrent.

We undo the path to the sign and follow the initial path, now to the left. It is a wide road that goes zigazagues and climbing slightly. In a curve of the road to the left we find, on the right hand side. A little waterfall.

Waterfall on the Cherry Trail

We do not leave the road to a crossroads where there are 3 signs, we continue in the direction of Cereja. We pass between cultivated fields until the dirt road ends and becomes an asphalted road that leads to the town of Cereja.

We cross the town, go down Calle de la Fuente until the end and turn left onto the Old Road of Llívia. We no longer leave it until it connects with the road that leads to Llívia. We leave the cemetery on the right and a few meters below we enter the village of Llívia. Now we just need to go back to the parking lot behind the church.

Once the excursion is finished, we will take the opportunity to get to know Llívia and some of its most representative places.

Llívia is a unique town, population of Spain in the French State; thus it was configured by the Treaty of the Pyrenees (1,659) between France and Spain. Its condition of city (title that received in 1528) was the one that maintained forming part of the Spanish band after the French annexation of the rest of the territory cerdà. It is connected to Puigcerdà by an international neutral road. The term of Llívia is separated from that of Puigcerdà, at the closest point between the two, by only 1.8 kilometers.

The Old Town of Llívia, in the surroundings of the old Plaza Mayor, the streets of Mercadal, Fontcitrana or Santa María, constitute a group of great interest, very well arranged and preserved. In its alleyways we can contemplate many typically sardinian houses, with their stone facades, balconies and wooden shutters or portals with lintels and granite stone jambs. The oldest part, built at the foot of the hill, began to form in the mid-thirteenth century.

Church of Our Lady of the Angels

r272_esglesia Building of the late sixteenth and early seventeenth century, Catalan Gothic style, with a single nave with side chapels and polygonal apse, and an airy tower bell tower. It was built on a previous church, from the 13th century. The door is of Renaissance style, with elements of classic type. It is flanked by two circular towers that give the temple an aspect of strength.

Source of the Church of Llívia

Located in the courtyard of the church. It is built on a pedestal of stones. Water comes out of the mouth of a person's face engraved on a flat stone that acts as a fountain wall, then falls into a small rectangular granite pile.

Bernat de So Tower

Round-plan tower, probably from the 15th century, although with later modifications. It was used as a house of the villa, a prison and for a time it housed the famous Pharmacy of Llívia. "Royal prison" is engraved on the doorpost. It is currently used as an exhibition hall.

Antigua Esteva pharmacy - Llívia Museum

r272_pharmacy Located on Calle de los Hornos, 10. The Llívia Museum houses the valuable objects of the old Esteva Pharmacy, considered the oldest in Europe since it already existed in 1415. From the Jaume Esteva of 1439 to the León Esteva that closed it In 1942, 23 generations of the same family took over the store. In 1965 it became the property of the Diputación. Of all the objects that remain the most notable is the "cordialer", a polychrome furniture from the 18th century where pharmaceutical products were stored. Also noteworthy are the blue glazed ceramic p odes and exceptional wooden boxes painted with portraits of wise men and ancient scientists, a probable work of the 17th century.

Fontcitrana street fountain

The mine, covered with an iron gate, is located on the wall of a house on Fontcitrana street. Built with stones from the area, like the wall of the house. To the right is a brass tap, possibly with water from the network.

Cal Petitot Fountain

r272_petitot He is next to Cal Petitot, hence his name. Made with stones from the country and crowned with a single pyramid-shaped stone; On the top there is an iron skewer. The water comes out at street level and falls into a small square puddle, also of stones, two steps below street level.

Llívia Castle

A road that leaves the parking lot behind the church takes us in about 15 minutes. Of the old castle of Llívia, destroyed by the French at the end of the 15th century, there are few vestiges: the foundations of the master tower, a room covered with a vault (probably a cistern) and remains of one of the four circular towers that defended the wall. By its typology, it seems that the remains correspond to a construction of the thirteenth century.

Source: Llívia City Council

What to do

Tren del Ciment

La Pobla de Lillet (a 23.9 Km)

Read more

Jardins Artigas

La Pobla de Lillet (a 23.6 Km)

Read more

Banys de bosc Be Forest

Canillo (a 29.3 Km)

Read more

A Pas d'Isard

Queralbs (a 15.6 Km)

Read more

Where to eat

La Santa Restaurant

Ribes de Freser (a 24.3 Km)

Read more

Hostal la Muntanya

Castellar de n'Hug (a 20.6 Km)

Read more

El Recó de l'Avi

Guardiola de Berguedà (a 27 Km)

Read more

Where to sleep

Casa Rural 1703

Llívia (a 2.6 Km)

Read more

Hotel Terminus

Puigcerdà (a 6 Km)

Read more

Cerdanya EcoResort

Prullans (a 22.2 Km)

Read more

Cal Mateuet

Lles de Cerdanya (a 26.1 Km)

Read more

News

Giveaway: Catalonia in miniature

Read more

Raffle: tickets to the Colonia Pons Church

Read more

Experiences

Astronomy Package at the Vall de Núria Hotel

Read more

Relax Package at the Vall de Núria Hotel

Read more

Events

June 21, World Sun Day

21/06/2024

Read more

Gastronomic Days of the Prawn of Las Casas de Alcanar

24/05/2024 - 21/06/2024

Read more

Subscribe to our newsletters!

You will receive our monthly newsletter with new routes, promotions, sweepstakes, etc.. on your email!