VINSEUM Museu de les Cultures del Vi de Catalunya Vilafranca del Penedès
The Museum was born in 1934 with the desire to bring together different collections related to the Penedès. Archeology had a very important weight, thanks to the findings that had been made in the region. Historical collections were also incorporated as a result of private donations: works of art that are the testimony of the economic vitality of the country; collections of natural history, ethnology, ceramics, fruit of the curiosity of citizens. Among these collections it could not be otherwise - there were many objects related to the cultivation of the vine and the winemaking, which has been one of the fundamental activities in the Penedès since ancient times.
The current permanent exhibition of VINSEUM is dedicated to the vineyard and the wine, and its relation with the Penedès and with Catalonia. The tour begins on the third floor of the Royal Palace, a Gothic building completely restored in 2012, and ends with a wine or cava tasting in the museum's tavern space (we offer must for minors).
The permanent exhibition proposes a trip through the stories of wine, to rediscover the traces that it has left us, from the origins to the present, from the land where the vineyard is rooted and to the sensory explosion of the tasting.
It is composed of six different thematic areas:
- The pantry: where it is explained how and why a museum gathers the memory of a territory marked by the cultivation of the vine and the production of wine since the arrival of Greeks, Phoenicians and Romans
- Shooting: where we will know what the vineyard is, where it comes from and the jobs that accompany its cultivation.
- The Clos: the grape with the must and the must in wine. Where we will see that making a good wine is a matter of science and patience.
- El Muelle: where we will see how wine opens to the world and the world opens to wine (the wine trade).
- The Desktop: we will see how the wine arrives at the table. Where all the moments in which we savor the wine are collected.
- The roots of the new museum: where we will see the archaeological past buried at the foot of the old museum and discover how much is missing to enjoy the new VINSEUM
The visit to the exhibition includes the audio guides service (in Catalan, Spanish, English and French) and lasts approximately 1 hour and a half.
VINSEUM is a dynamic space that offers a diverse cultural program, aimed at different audiences, where wine is explained from multiple perspectives and where gastronomy, thought, performing arts and, ultimately, culture also have a place.
The museum also has a documentation center and a specialized store.