Shire: Alt Camp
Altitude: 314 m
Aiguamúrcia is a small village of about 800 inhabitants but the municipality is the largest in the Alt Camp. The village is situated on a hilly area on the right bank of the river Gaia. The municipality is bordered on the north by Querol and Pontoon, on the east by The Montmell, on the south by Vila RODONA and west to El Pont de Armentera and Pla de Santa Maria. The village is Santes Creus, also located on the right bank of the river, is part of the municipality of Aiguamúrcia.
The municipality of Aiguamúrcia also comprises the small towns of Les Pobles, l'Albà i Pla de Manlleu.
The cultivation of the vine is very important in the municipality of Aiguamúrcia where we find two wineries producing wine and sparkling wine with denomination of origin Penedès. Also note the existence of a mineral water bottling plant.
Aiguamúrcia presents one of the most important examples of medieval Catalan: the monastery of Santa Maria de Santes Creus which is part of the Cistercian Route together with the Monastery of Poblet (Conca de Barbera) and the monastery of Vallbona of them monks (Urgell ).
This is a Cistercian abbey rose from XII century and was declared a National Monument by Royal Decree 1921. The origin of the monastery dates back to 1150, but work did not start until 1168, and it was the year 1225 hata that major units were completed. To the right of the monastery we find the Palacio de l'Abad (1640), with a small cloister which corresponds to the old hospital of San Pedro de los Pobres.
Inside the monastery of Santa Maria de Santes Creus find the church with the tombs of Peter the Great, of James II and his wife Blanche d'Anjou, and Admiral Roger de Llúria; also find the chapter, the scriptorium, the cloister XIV century Gothic bedroom and the great monks, among others. During the summer months are scheduled in the monastery of Santes Creus classical concerts and audiovisual on Cistercian World.