Verges is a municipality located in the north of the Baix Empordà, almost next to the neighboring district of Alt Empordà. It is located in a very flat area and bathed by the Rec del Molí, at the same time however, it is very close to the top of Montgrí.
In medieval times the oldest or most primitive part of the population was built, which is bounded on the north by the Plaza Mayor, on the south by Rec del Molí street, on the east by Valls street and on the west by the end of the street of the Bulls.
Of the wall that surrounded all this nucleus are important samples, mainly in the Greater place, where there is a door of entrance to the enclosure and two towers (a square one "centuries XIII-XIV" and the other circular "centuries XV- XVI") very well preserved.
Inside the walled enclosure we find the church, remains of the old castle (12th century) that occupied the place where the Town Hall is now and the square that is right in front, and streets such as Ribossà or the Church that led to the west gate of the wall and that are true survivors of the medieval town.
The most interesting places of interest are:
- El Castillo: from medieval times, has been declared a National Interest Site. The first reference to the castle appears in a document of the eleventh century.
- The Parish Church of San Julián and Santa Basilisa
- The Portal of the Mother of God: receives this name by the image that there is on a niche at the top. It was the main access road to the medieval village.
- Fortified enclosure : the enclosure that surrounded the population in the middle age was formed by canvases of wall with loopholes and battlements that alternated with towers.
- Mill: this building has undergone several reforms during the eighteenth, nineteenth and twentieth centuries. It was a rice and flour mill, and until recently it operated as a hydroelectric power station.
What to do
Where to eat
Where to sleep
Centre de Turisme Eqüestre Cal Robusto (Siurana) (a 16.6 Km)