Vilallonga del Camp
Altitude: 124 m
Vilallonga is a municipality of Tarragonès, located to the right of the river Glorieta, which constitutes its limit with the Rourell. The municipal area covers an area of 9.23 km², and is crossed by the Vilallonga stream, a tributary of the Francolí River on the right. The town of Vilallonga, which is a clear example of village-road, only urban center, is located 104 m. of altitude Belongs to the judicial party in Valls and the arciprestazgo de Valls. The municipality includes, in addition to the old term of Vilallonga, the historical ones of Carxol, Les Sorts and that of the Mas de la Obra, the farmhouse and old block of Montoliva and the old town of Fuente del Astor.
In the municipality of Vilallonga there are several Roman remains, such as a building with a basilical plan and a sepulcher with a rectangular floor, suggesting consolidated settlements. There are no remains or documents from the Saracen era.
The first letter of population granted to the men of Villalonga by King Alfonso el Casto dated March 1, 1188. That first Vilallonga nucleus was to be found near the Granja de los Frailes and next to the royal road it went from Tarragona to Montblanc.
We know that Villallonga already existed before the granting of the population card, because in the letter of donation from Morell to Berenguer Desprats, 1173, figure that limited Villallonga.
The War of Independence (1808-1811) had a considerable impact in Vilallonga del Camp. The city became for a few months in the headquarters of the Spanish army and then was occupied by French troops in their advance towards the city of Tarragona.
In the municipality they emphasize two important personages: Pere Virgili (1699 - 1776), considered like father of the surgery in Spain by the foundation of the Real Colleges of surgery of Cádiz and Barcelona, where it occupies the position of director in both schools. He was a chamber surgeon of King Ferdinand VI who granted him the privilege of noble in 1755. The other person to be highlighted is Josep Mestres and Miquel (1868-1945), doctor, politician and agronomist founded the itinerant chair of agriculture. He was president of the Diputación de Tarragona, besides being part of the first Executive Council of the Commonwealth of Catalonia and was president of the Official College of Physicians of the province of Tarragona.
The most remarkable building of the population is the parochial church of San Martin, it was begun to construct in the year 1795. Notable is the magnificent neoclassical façade, which remained unfinished. On the cornice there is a triangular pediment supported by four columns and two pilasters, with Corinthian capitals. On the entrance door you can see a relief that represents San Martín splitting the layer with a poor man. In its interior it emphasizes the central ship and the lateral ships to both sides. The cruise is chaired by the dome. All painted with soft shades of green.
Within the term is the hermitage of the Virgen del Rosario, of which the date of construction is unknown. The building has undergone several transformations over the years, currently it is fully restored having recovered the Gothic paintings of the presbytery and crafts. Its singularity is found in the mural paintings of the presbytery and the decoration of the beams.
The Dr. Pere Virgili Museum-Archive of Vilallonga del Camp is located in a building from the beginning of the 19th century that was bought by the Vilallonga del Camp Town Council in 2000. Everything on the ground floor is related to the town of Vilallonga in the 18th century: its textile industry and the manufacture of brandy; the lost trades: cooper, saddler, miner and shoemaker / shoemaker. In addition, there is a model of Vilallonga from the late seventeenth century, when Pere Virgili was born.
The first floor is dedicated to Dr. Pere Virgili. We must not forget that Pere Virgili was the one who created the surgery in Spain. The title of the exhibition that can be seen on the first floor is "Pere Virgili and Spanish surgery of the eighteenth century, technical contributions. " There are, among other things, several surgical instruments of the eighteenth century and some of the nineteenth; as well as a replica of an 18th-century ship's infirmary; the model of the Royal College of Surgery of Cádiz and different preparations in wax from various parts of the body that were used to teach anatomy to surgical students.
Located on Calle Sant Roc, number 14 in Vilallonga del Camp, ca Nicolau is a house built at the end of the 17th century or the beginning of the 18th century, which preserves the original structure and in which very few renovations have been made. In 2014 the City Council of Vilallonga del Camp made an agreement with the owners of Ca Nicolau to be able to use it as a country house, aimed at conserving and having exposed the material related to the peasantry of the town that had been collected for years.
The Vilallonga del Camp Film Museum is the first cinema museum in the Camp de Tarragona, belongs to the Town Hall and is located in the Civic Center. The material that is found is property of the collector Josep Maria Vallès, neighbor of the municipality and amateur of the cinema.
In the museum they are exposed to type of cinephile material such as: projectors, film tapes of different formats, graphic material, etc. There is a space for the No-do and a space reserved for the three cinemas that the municipality has had.
Where to sleep
Where to eat
What to do